Tuesday, August 25, 2009

ராசாவே உன்ன நம்பி....

This rustic melody - A brilliant song by Vairamuthu for a brilliant movie by Bharathiraja set to a brilliant tune by Maestro.There is nothing much more for me to write about it- the composition just speaks for itself.

I have a fairly bassy voice.Every so often I attempt a S.Janaki amma's song or a P.Susheela amma's song and always end up with the feeling," God, Can I please borrow one of their sweet voices ?" :-(.This is one such attempt where I literally had to stretch my vocal chord thin :-) and as expected ended up with the same feeling. However, it definitely was a good vocal exercise.

I so loved the opening bit that I decided to keep the original.

Lessons learnt from my previous recording: I have upgraded to a slightly better mic, although not a great one. This one at least is meant for singing.

Please leave me your thoughts on this attempt.Thanks.

Song : Rasaave Unna Nambi
Original Singer: S.Janaki
Music: Illayaraaja
Lyrics: Vairamuthu
Movie: Mudhal Mariyaadhai
Cover version: Kavitha Nagarajan


Raasave Unna Nambi | Music Upload



11 comments:

  1. Kavi,
    Just brilliant. I closed my eyes and was already visualizing this song: Radha, antha odam in the movie. Your voice took me right there and If I am not mistaken, you slightly twisted the santhathi at the end?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very beautiful rendition. It did sound a but nasal towards the end of the song and it was probably the mic. I still think this mic is not doing its justice for your voice. You may have to still go for a better one :-).. The twist in the santhathi at the end was very nice..Excellent effort.
    -Sriram

    ReplyDelete
  3. I sang this song for Galatta idol and u were the judge :) Am at work . Will listen when I get back home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Prabhakar, thank you. Yes, i did.

    @Siva, Thanks. Whenever I try any S.Janaki style song, nasal tone tends to creep in. Have to work on it. Thank you.

    @Suchi, Now u can be the judge..:-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kavi..What a beutiful voice you have...Now I feel like "God can I borrow Kavi's Voice" :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kavitha.... It was too good. Many a places I found no difference from the original track. And dont just change your mic.. setup a studio for yourself...!
    -Rajkumar

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kavi, not to compare, but the Shubha Mudgal and MS are more coming from your soul and of course the strength; Everything blends in those. This one is a good attempt. Unfortunately there are so many false voice songs and is there a choice of not sticking to false voice and still try and present these songs?

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Alex, Thanks for listening and posting ur thoughts. I was trying to experiment with different voices. Like you know, S.Janaki amma's songs are not my cup of tea :-(.I agree with your thoughts , I could have tried a lower scale that is more suitable for my voice.
    But, changing scales can sometimes completely rob the song of its essence. I didn't want to risk that.In the process, I ofcourse risked the presentation itself. :-)
    Let us discuss more offline. Thanks again, Alex.

    ReplyDelete
  9. just a quick thought...." Ninnai Saranadainthen " from Bharathi will suit your style of rendering very well....(incase u r deciding on what song to pick next)

    ReplyDelete